Monday, June 1, 2015

Lying to Myself - A Personal Story

(The following is a post from one of our SA members.)

Before working the Steps of the SA program, it was so easy for me to lie to myself.  There was so much of that kind of dishonest thinking revealed in my Step 4 inventories as I worked through the 12 Steps with my sponsor.  My sponsor taught me that I lie to myself primarily in four ways: illusion, delusion, rationalization, and justification.  Making decisions particularly when I'm rationalizing and justifying my bad plan of action, is just going to make it more likely that I end up regretting a relapse.

I now surrender any thought of doing anything that even has a whiff of lust.  I'm powerless over lust.  If I purposefully put myself into situations in which I'm entertaining the possibility of acting out, I will indeed end up acting out.  It's what I do, because I am a sexaholic.

The bottom line for me today is that I seriously do "desire to stop lusting, and become sexually sober."  That's the only requirement to be a member in SA, and there isn't any point to not taking that commitment seriously.  So that means I must be honest with myself and surrender to God those lustful thought I used to entertain while I was trying to tell myself that I could handle them.