Monday, April 4, 2016

The drug is lust

(This is a personal story from one of our members.)

For me as a sexaholic, the drug is sexual lust. Sexual acting out simply follows. I've had recovering alcoholics share with me that as a sexaholic, they have come to realize that "the drug is in my brain". I agree; the drug is in my brain, because the drug is sexual lust.

But the early AAs also told me (in the Alcoholics Anonymous Big Book) that in the end there likely comes a time when the alcoholic had to learn to rely on exactly the same solution that I must, or neither of us is going to stay sober.
"Once more: The alcoholic at certain times has no effective mental defense against the first drink. Except in a few rare cases, neither he nor any other human being can provide such a defense. His defense must come from a Higher Power." (AABB p. 43)
I can't simply avoid my drug; it's in my brain. If I'm lusting, I'm high on my drug. I need a Power greater than myself, and I need that Power to do for me what I can't do for myself. I must have a Power that will accept and can take care of the lust that I willingly surrender to Him (stop struggling with it and hand it over).

The awesome thing is that working the Steps under the guidance of a sponsor resulted in a significant enough spiritual awakening that connected me rightly with that Power, a loving God. So I know where to go when I have "no mental defense" against the drug in my brain, which actually for me means every time. And so instead of ever trying to face that drug alone, I just always go to God with it no matter how "trivial" it may initially appear to be. And in doing so, I continue to connect with Him in prayer, sometimes many, many times throughout the day, turning temptation into opportunity for a conscious connection with God.